The competitive strengths of Andrés, DPP, and Itabo include the following:
- The most innovative, economical, and efficient thermal technology in the Dominican Republic. Andrés has a 319MW combined cycle plant that uses Natural Gas as fuel. It is the plant with the most modern technology available in the Dominican Republic, and its commercial operation started in December of 2003.
- For its part, Itabo has the most economical thermal generation units in the country, with an installed capacity of 260MW consisting of two steam units, that operate with mineral coal, Pet Coque, or Fuel Oil. Besides, Itabo owns a turbo-gas single-cycle unit, which is out of commercial operation. Both Andrés and Itabo are base-load plants, in other words, they dispatch in order to satisfy the basic demand and not just during high demand hours.
- Exclusive natural gas supplier. AES Andrés maintains the only LNG receiving terminal in the country, which has a LGN storage tank for this fuel and re-gassification installations.
- Itabo owns the unique dock to off-load solid materials in the Dominican Republic, with a capacity to receive Panamax-type ships. This dock could be used for third parties to discharge material, representing an alternative business for Itabo
- Andrés, DPP, and Itabo receive large benefits from ownership by AES Corporation. The local businesses benefit from the technical, administrative, and regulatory experience, access to technical knowledge and the market experience of its parent company.
- Long-term Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs). Andrés, DPP, and Itabo have contracted capacity through PPA contracts with the three distribution companies.